Close-up of the video detection
The interest in object recognition in rodents is recent and mostly focused on the animals' memory of objects and the associated brain structures and systems. Whatever novelty recognition or object preference is explored, the test remains difficult to automate and many laboratories still score manually the test by watching a video.
Bioseb has changed the game by introducing the NORT-3D technology!
With the NORT-3D, Bioseb uses its 3D detection technology to add discriminating parameters to the object exploration of rodents within an Open field test. Muzzle position, body orientation, time spent around the object of interest can now be combined with sniffing or rearing behaviors detected by our special sensor.
For example, Bioseb's NORT-3D can show that the mouse nose is within 1 cm of the object for 8 seconds and a "sniffing" detection occurred during that time.
The researcher can then fine-tune the detection parameters to what is considered to be an event of "exploration" recognition.
BIOSEB R&D TEAM focused their efforts on designing a camera offering true 3-dimensional detection, allowing the instrument to measure the height of the highest part of the animal exploring the Open field cage.
The NORT-3D tracks the animal (rat or mouse) within the entire arena and records each object recognition and rearing behavior (the latter based on the predefined height with an accuracy of 1 mm over 1 mm2). Our rearing detection algorithm perfectly matches the manual scoring. Zone transitions remain realistic thanks to surface thresholds and specific morphologic detection. Drawing a zone is extremely easy using our predefined zone tools : name, color, form, layer priority for complex zone shapes, etc.
The « 2 windows » software, which runs under Windows 7 and 8, computes and stores data in real time. While it can be used with any type of arena available on the market for 2D detection, all components needed for 3D detection are provided in the box.
Key features of Bioseb's setup
• First automation of the task!
• 3D detection
• 1 mm accuracy in height
• Minimum surface detected 1 mm2
• Rearing & sniffing detection
• Designed for Rats or Mice.
• Easy setup with just THREE CLICKS.
• Parameters are computed in real time.
Key features of Novel Object Test
• Short- and long-term memory
• Not dependent upon the hippocampus
• Less influenced by non-specific locomotor effects
• Standard test for phenotyping
• Simple to set up and use
• Does not require prior food deprivation
• Sensitive for both rats and mice
Domains of application
• Anxiolitic or anxiogenic drug screening
• Studies on learning and memory processes
• Neurodegenerative diseases related to aging
• Research on Alzheimer
• Drug screening
• Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)