! NEW RESEARCH WORK !
A recent publication
by C. Bertrand, A. Pignalosa, E. Wanecq, C. Rancoule, A. Batut et al. in "PLOS One" highlights the merits of using Bioseb's Food and drink monitoring system
: Effects of Dietary Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Supplementation in High-Fat Fed Mice on Lipid Metabolism and Apelin/APJ System in Skeletal Muscle
The PHYSIOCAGE system
is a modular system allowing the combination of food & drink intake, respiratory metabolism (O2 consumption/CO2 production), activity and rearing measurements in specifically adapted home cages for rodents, optional. The major feature of the PHYSIOCAGE system is that it is easily expandable to any of the options of the system.
Respiratory metabolism is evaluated by means of indirect calorimetry using the components of the OXYLET system which has been particularly optimized for studies on laboratory rodents (mice and rats).
The system enables the monitoring of carbon dioxide (CO2) production and oxygen (O2) consumption as well as the calculation of related physiological parameters (respiratory quotient, energy exchange…).
An Air Flow and Switching Unit provides a constant air flow which can be adjusted for each experimental chamber. It also organizes the cycles of sequential gas measurements between the different chambers.
The Gas Analyzer unit measures the concentration of oxygen (O2) and carbon dioxide (CO2) for every experimental chamber sequentially.
Food and drink monitoring
Food & drink intake and activity are evaluated using the weight transducer technology. This technology allows the continuous assessment of the animal food and drink consumption and spontaneous activity with highest accuracy and stability of the measurements. The Food, drink and activity signals from the weight transducers are amplified using the BIOSEB LE520 and LE530 Amplifiers.
Rearing assessment need an additional InfraRed (IR) frame connected to the PHYSIOCAGE system. The rearing signal obtained from the infrared beam cuts is amplified using the BIOSEB LE530 Amplifier.
Left: Mouse cage - Middle: Rat cage - Right: Setting in situation fo a rat cage
an ingenious arrangement takes account of the food "wasted" by the animal, as shown in the images below
(90 to 95% of it is taken into account for a form type food pellets ).
Taking into account of the "waste" of the animal
• Food consumption by user-defined interval of time
• Drink consumption by user-defined interval of time
• Mean activity by user-defined interval of time
• Number of rearing by user-defined interval of time, optional
Domains of application
• Food and drink intake and metabolism
• Locomotor activity and exploration
• Easily expandable system available in different configuration
• Optimized for rat and mice
• The monitoring of the food and drink consumption and activity uses the newly adapted weight transducer technology, providing a higher accuracy
• External Food and Drink dispensers avoid any influence on the living space of the subject as well as unwanted artifacts
• Registers the absorbed food & drink and its wastage by the means of specifically adapted systems
• Rearing can be assessed using an additional InfraRed Frame