! NEW RESEARCH WORK !
A recent publication
by Nguyen KP, O'Neal TJ, Bolonduro OA, White E, Kravitz AV in "J Neurosci Methods." highlights the merits of using Bioseb's OXYLET, Indirect Calorimeter
: Feeding Experimentation Device (FED): A flexible open-source device for measuring feeding behavior
is evaluated by means of indirect calorimetry
an optimized system for studies on laboratory rodents (mice and rats).
Food drink intake and activity are evaluated using a weight transducer technology. This technology allows the continuous assessment of the animal food and drink consumption
as well as spontaneous activity
with highest accuracy and stability.
requires simply an additional InfraRed (IR) frame connected to the system. The modular design provides easily expandability for any of the options of the system.
The researcher can select only those components of initial interest... but with the flexibility of adding others at a later date.
Special Oxylet configurations are available for performing calorimetry studies with rat neonates
or during treadmill experiments
One of the main innovation of the OXYLET system is that to give an accurate measure it does not need the traditionnal air drying units or dessicant columns that can be found in older technology systems
. Another strong point is the use of high sensitive sensors with a very fast response time
for both O2 and CO2 measures.
Standard airtight cages enable to follow up rodent metabolism for several hours. Airtight Home cages are suggested with food and drink distributors when several days studies have to be performed.
• O2 consumption
• CO2 production
• Respiratory quotient
• Energetic exchange
• Food consumption by user-defined interval of time
• Drink consumption by user-defined interval of time
• Mean activity by user-defined interval of time
• Number of rearing by user-defined interval of time
• Easily expandable system available in different configuration
• Highly sensitive and stable sensors for O2 and CO2
• Optimized for rat and mice
• Laser sensor for lower influence of air humidity on the measurement of O2/CO2 gas
• The monitoring of the food and drink consumption and activity uses the newly adapted weight transducer technology, providing a higher accuracy
• External Food and Drink dispensers avoid any influence on the living space of the subject as well as unwanted artifacts
• Registers the absorbed food & drink and its wastage by the means of specifically adapted systems
• Rearing can be assessed using an additional InfraRed Frame
Domaines of application
This apparatus is specially recommanded for studies in the following fields:
• Anorexy and its treatments
• Addiction/aversion to specific substances
• Energy dispense associated with hunger and satiation
• Diabetes and its treatment